Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday September 19

Well the past two days here have been marvelous weather wise. It's been a great two days to catch up on some of those chores I've been putting off. Took out a sumac tree that was trying to take over the shed, when I got that cleared I noticed a few more small scrub saplings that needed to come out before I knew it I had a pretty good brush pile built up.
I was reading an article today from Mother earth news online that talks about having a one acre homestead, the title kind of surprised me, could it really be possible to have a homestead on just one acre?
So I read on thinking it would pretty much just consist of a small garden, some fruit trees, some chickens and maybe a couple of raspberry bushes, but the writer had come up with a plan to have a little less than a half acre garden, a half acre pasture area for 1 milk cow and 1 sow, and a small area for a dozen chickens. I thought to myself "how ingenious".Now of course the Half acre pasture wouldn't be able to support the cow and the sow full time, so the author had it set up to where they would be in the barn part of the time with daily controlled access to the pasture. He. Also had the pasture set up on a four year rotation where once every 4 years the pasture would be the garden. Be also had as part of the garden growing fodder for the animals, as well as the sow eating the left over dairy. He even had income from selling a calf once a year and selling some of the litter or two of pigs after keeping a few back for your own sausage and bacon supply. So altogether out of This simple plan a family could haves all the milk they need, fresh eggs and chicken, meat, and plenty of vegetables to last much of the year, all on one acre. So that got me optimistic, if he could do all of that on one acre just think how much we could accomplish on three. It's got my wheels turning. Oh by the way you can read the article online by searching one acre homestead mother earth news

No comments:

Post a Comment