Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thursday September 13

Sorry its been so long since my last blog, we have been busy as little bees around here. The chickens are laying very well, we really didn't expect to get eggs this soon so we are ecstatic over their production level, today we had 15 eggs out of 22 hens. That's very respectable for such young birds.
To give you a good idea about our routine with the chickens; I get home around 3 in the afternoon come in and get the egg basket and the bucket of garden scraps ( mostly just okra now , we put in peelings and ends from various garden produce and feed it to the birds with their ration.) I weigh out their feed and put it in the feeding trough, and while they go to town I collect the eggs from the nests, at this point I check their waterers, inspect their overall health and head in to sort and wash the eggs. Once inside I rinse the eggs in a natural chemical free egg wash for 15 minutes; then rinse then off in cold water and dry them on a towel. Any that I find cracked or broken I make a note of how many and set them to the side for me or the dogs.( they love fried eggs.) I
then put them in cartons and mark with a date . That's pretty much it, takes about Half an hour.
The fence is coming along good, I have all the posts in place and starting on the corner braces and the gate braces I'm using a product my neighbor told me about called wedge loc, it works quite well. It makes putting in braces fairly simple.(I will include a picture) well thats all the time i have for now, untill next time
Todays haul

this is the bracing system i am using for the fence.

Corner brace up close

No comments:

Post a Comment