Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Beautiful Day

This afternoon was beautiful, there was a gentle breeze and a comfortable 81 degrees. As soon as I got home from work I went to buy chicken feed at our small (very small) town's hardware store. To my suprise the price had gone down about a dollar a bag. Things hardly ever go DOWN in price so it was a pleasant suprise. When I got back home and unloaded and put away the feed, the chickens where getting restless, it was as if they where saying; "Hey, food guy, your late!"Somehow they know when I make my rounds, and if I'm a little late, the natives get restless. So I fed them and  put new hay in the nest boxes. To which they responded by organizing the hay into neat little nests.
    Got the frame finished on the little chicken tractor, It didnt take long at all, and for a change it seems pretty sturdy. ( you would have to have seen my other projects to know what I mean) Whne I had finished that I stood there and admired my work. I get a strange sense of satisfaction from making something useful out of something most people would have thrown out. My mom says I get this farming, gardening, simple living from her grandmother.I remember my great grandma Bradford quite well, she died when I was eight but i remember her home quite well, in todays vernacular it would have been called a homestead, but to her it was just getting by. I remember she had every kind of fruit tree imaginable; apples, pears, plums, peaches, figs. she had all of them and she didnt waste anything. I think maybe moms right, maybe i do get this bug if you will from her. Maybe part of that strange sense of satisfaction is grandmommo looking down from heaven and saying, good job great grandson.
        I stood there enjoying the beautiful afternoon, watched the birds for a while.  I know some of you are thinking ; "This guy is out of his gourd watching chickens", and maybe some of you are right , I am a little out of my gourd, but i still love it. Maybe more people should spend their afternoons taking care of creatures other than ourselves, maybe their would be less violence and laziness in the world.
      I do love to just watch them scratch around and mingle, and cluck happy chicken sounds. I have noticed some of the birds have picked their favorite  rooster ( we have three) some hang out with big daddy ( our new Hampshire rooster) and a few others hang out with fat Albert ( rhode island red rooster) while others just Hang out by themselves. Brave, our other rhode island  rooster, we call him brave because he only has one tail feather left, tries to impress the ladies  with his rugged (if not down right funny lookin...bless his heart) good looks, and when that doesn't work he commences to chasing them around the pasture untill they get tired or he does, he is our comic relief. Well thats enough banter for today thanks for stopping by and reading the blog, Ya'll come back now, Ya hear. Good night and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment